o REAL FOOD o NO CHEMICALS o NO PROGRAMS o REASONABLE EXERCISE o HEALTHY WEIGHT LOSS o BATTLING PCOS NATURALLY

Monday, April 26, 2010

Day 15/365 Sugar is Addictive & Artificial Sweeteners Kill

I know I have blogged about this in the past, but it's worth repeating.  I love the taste of sugar.  Who doesn't?  But if we eat it all the time, we pay dearly for it.  Diabeties, weight gain, cravings and cavities, are some of the most common side effects when we consume too much sugar.

Sugar is one of the reasons why I had a hard time getting it in gear at the first of the year. During the holidays, I enjoyed more sweets then I usually do.  Once it's in your system and you are getting regular "fixes" it's really hard to stay ahead of the cravings without a lot of hard work.  And the harder it is to get into a routine, the more likely the routine will never solidify.

So the beginning of last week, I wasn't feeling very good.  I felt slightly nauseated so I didn't eat much.  I drank a lot of Pero with milk and just enough peanut butter filled pretzels so I wasn't hungry.  Light on the stomach, a little protein and a good number of carbs.  It kept my stomach calm and I was able to do my daily routine.

So at the end of the week, when I started to feel better I noticed I wasn't craving a thing.  My appetite came back, but the craving for something crunchy, sweet, salty, smooth, savory, gooey, etc.wasn't there.  It's ALWAYS there, so I thought about what was different?

For the whole week, eating like a bird, I didn't have anything sugary.  It reminded me that when we can get the sugar out of our system (which takes a few days) we don't have that pull to get more.  Why can't I just remember such a thing and ward off sugar for the rest of my life?  Weight control would be a cinch!    Because life is made up of sugar moments.  That's how we celebrate, through sweets.

Some say, "Well that's easy.  You can have your sweet without the effects of sugar by consuming sugar-free foods."  Yes, that is a solution, but not one I am willing to take.  Sweet chemicals are worse on your body than the real thing.  They're chemicals and there are many ramifications for putting such gunk into your body.  A great article HERE that shows the positive/negatives of many artificial sweeteners.

When I was in school studying Holistic Nutrition, one of our texts was: "Excitoxins:The Taste that Kills" by Russell L. Blaylock.  After reading this book, I was convinced to NEVER touch another artificial sweetener again.  It explains that certain additives in our food excite our brain so much, that it kills the neurons.  Makes sense when the sweetener you are consuming is 160-220 times sweeter than sugar.

So if you want something sweet, by all means, choose something made with sugar!  Just know that it will cause cravings and that to rid yourself of cravings, you'll have to avoid it for a bit until you get control of your system.  You don't get something for nothing, everything has consequences.  You just need to be responsible with it like anything else we consume, and you'll be fine.  Understanding our bodies and how sugar effects our efforts, is half the battle in the weight lost journey.

This is what I did today:
Elliptical: 15 min @ level 10 
Hundred Push-up Challenge: Week 3 Day 1 (80 push-ups)

No comments:

Post a Comment