o REAL FOOD o NO CHEMICALS o NO PROGRAMS o REASONABLE EXERCISE o HEALTHY WEIGHT LOSS o BATTLING PCOS NATURALLY

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Day 281 - Healthy Pancakes

My kids love pancakes, they beg for pancakes.  If it were possible, they would eat them everyday, at every meal.  Me on the other hand? I enjoy the taste, but let's just say my body isn't happy with me when I have them.  I have learned to enjoy other items for breakfast.

But I know this isn't so for many people.  I have an uncle who loves steak, loves it.  But he'll take a stack of pancakes over steak any day, this surpised me the first time I learned this because he REALLY likes steak. 

Most of the time, people think to loose weight, they have to give up their beloved pancakes.  What I have learned is if you bring nutrition into every meal, and eat properly sized portions and exercise regularly, it doesn't matter if you have pancakes every so often.

Here is a recipe that is adjusted to include lots of healthy ingredients.  It is kid tested and in order for everyone to get enough, I have to double this for my family of 6.  So you can have your pancakes and eat them too!

Wholesome Whole Wheat Pancakes

2 eggs
1 1/2 c. milk
2 Tablespoons packed brown sugar
4 Tablespoons olive oil
6 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup quick oats 

Beat eggs until fluffy.  Add wet ingredients and then mix in the dry all together.  Let sit for about 5 minutes so the oats will absorb some of the fluid, it will make thicker pancakes.  Heat griddle over medium heat (375')

(For those who have avoided pancakes so long that they have forgotten how to actually make them) :o)  Cook pancakes until little popped-looking bubbles appear all over and edges are dry enough to get a spatula under it.  Flip and wait about half the time it took to cook the first side.  Both sides should be toasty, golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment