Wanting to save money by eat in, we decided to make this last night. The shrimp all together cost about $10 and by the time you add the rest of the items, you'll be pushing $20 (unless you already have some of the items already in the fridge). So for $20, Ben and I had large bowls of this, which is beyond filling, and we will also have the remainder today for lunch. That's $5 a serving.
It's also low in fat and high in flavor. Believe me when I say you will crave this once you have had it.
**Various pictures (including this one), nutrition information and the recipe can be found HERE.
- 2 pounds cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups tomato and clam juice cocktail
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, or to taste
- 1/4 cup prepared horseradish
- salt to taste
- 1 ripe avocado - peeled, pitted and chopped
- Place the shrimp in a large bowl. Stir garlic, red onion, and cilantro. Mix in tomato and clam juice cocktail, ketchup, lime juice, hot pepper sauce, and horseradish. Season with salt. Gently stir in avocado. Cover, and refrigerate 2 to 3 hours. Serve in one large bowl or ladle into individual bowls.