o REAL FOOD o NO CHEMICALS o NO PROGRAMS o REASONABLE EXERCISE o HEALTHY WEIGHT LOSS o BATTLING PCOS NATURALLY

Monday, March 21, 2011

Day 80: Crazy, insane virus that's going around.

About a month ago I saw some posts on Facebook from friends that their families had been knocked out by a virus.  It certainly happens, especially when you have a handful of kids. What caught my attention though, was that the illness came in waves.  I knocked on wood and hoped my family would be spared.

Wishful thinking.

Two weeks ago, the youngest and my husband started to show signs of illness. Nothing major, just mild fevers and a cough.  Nearly a week went by and no one else had symptoms. I was feeling quite hopeful the virus was contained to them.  Of course, they got worse just as my daughters and I started to feel under the weather.  Knowing it was likely the virus I had heard about earlier, I didn't push through my symptoms like I typically would. I took the opportunity to take it easy and get caught up on my reading and cuddle with the sickies since we all had the same thing. After a couple of days of not feeling so hot I started to feel better, figured my time had passed.

Then it hit.

I had a fever of 103.6 at bedtime that night.  I don't remember the last time I had a fever so high.  My ears were ringing so loudly, I had a hard time going to sleep that night. The next day and for the remainder of the week, I felt like I did when I had mono.  No joke.  Even now, a week later after the fever, I still feel pretty fatigued.

I am happy to say that despite my disease, I worked out every day and I didn't let the virus keep me from my efforts. Of course I lightened up the routine, I didn't want to kill myself! I also learned that one of the best way to get rid of the chills is to exercise for five minutes.  Of course I felt like I got hit my a truck, but I was warm and toasty.  It's been a slow road back to the workout I was doing before I got sick, but with a little effort, I'll be back there in no time.

The most important thing about taking care of yourself is listening to your body. I know the last few days I wouldn't have been able to do a full workout, so I haven't. But that's the beauty of this goal, by working out everyday, it gets easy to read your body. There are days I feel I can do more then my usual routine, and I will endulge.  But other days, I feel like I need to pull back, and I listen.

Take care of yourself, the virus that's going around...it's a doozy. ;)

4 comments:

  1. You are amazing Karen. I can't even imagine working out if I wasn't feeling well. My doc tells me that's exactly what I should be doing (I have fibromyalgia) and it's really, really hard for me to learn this. I've trained myself to go easy (ie no exercise!) when I don't feel well ... but like you said, the doc has told me that's actually not the best policy. I should always be "exercising" even if it's just walking for a while, even when I don't feel well.

    Your courage and dedication is a wonderful example for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just a little OCD when it comes to goals! ;) Which is why I made it to begin with. If I skip even a day, it's over.

    I'm so sorry to hear about your condition, I know that's not easy to live with. You are such a positive person, you'd never know you don't feel good at times.

    I appreciate your kind words, they are motivation for me!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen! Hooray for good health! Hope you are feeling healthy again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Shari! I'm feeling much better! :)

    ReplyDelete